Tips for Running Your Heater for the First Time This Season
The weather in New Braunfels, TX, and the surrounding area can change quickly. With winter quickly approaching and cold fronts coming and going, your furnace or heat pump will soon be heating your home to keep you warm. Before that time arrives, we wanted to provide you with a few tips to prepare your HVAC unit for the heating season.
Proactive Practices to Ensure Comfort
- Make sure your air filter is clean or has been recently replaced. Proper airflow is important for standard air conditioning operations. If you don’t remember the last time you replaced it, it’s likely past due.
- Have you had a recent maintenance performed? Having proactive maintenance visits can help identify potential issues and help prevent system downtime.
- Test smoke and CO detectors. Replace the batteries, test them for audible alarm, and make sure they are clean of dust, dirt, or debris. If smoke detectors need to be replaced or you have any electrical issues, our team of Electricians can assist!
Turning your heater on for the first time in almost a year usually results in a “burning smell” lingering in your home. Depending on the air quality in our home, we notice the dust build-up on our furniture and fixtures. Now think of all the dust that has flowed through your HVAC system and is sitting on the heating components when they turn on. It’s normal to have the burning smell for a short time, a few minutes to an hour or so – depending on how long the system runs and cycles – but if it lingers for many hours or days, it’s best to get it checked out by one of our Comfort Technicians at Legacy Home Services.
Test Heating Early
In preparation for the cooler weather, proactively run your heater to make sure everything kicks on and runs like it should. We don’t want you to wait until you need (and want!) it the most and be uncomfortable in your home.
The Importance of Maintenance
Professional, recurring maintenance is the best way to ensure longevity of system life, performance, and efficiency. As a Legacy Family Plan Member, you get these amazing benefits:
- Bi-annual maintenance visits – inspection of electrical components, coil cleanliness, overall system operations
- FREE Service Call with repairs
- Priority Service
- $100 annual credit towards HVAC complete system replacement
- 15% off repairs
Don’t wait to be cold and uncomfortable in your home. Legacy Home Services is here to assist with your heating service, maintenance, and repair in New Braunfels!